© Yorkshire Ramblers' Club. Reproduction of this article is not permitted.
However, short extracts from it may be used, for non-commercial purposes, provided their source is fully cited, acknowledged and referenced as:
YRC Committee. (1924) Club Meets. Yorkshire Ramblers' Club Journal Volume 5 Number 16: pp157-158. Leeds: YRC.

Club Meets.

1922 - A fine Easter was followed by an exceptionally fine and hot May, good weather lasting over Whitsuntide till the middle of June.

The Club was out in great force at Whitsuntide, and the eye of faith might have discerned from Simon Fell, three camps, at Gaping Ghyll, at Alum Pot, and at Hull Pot, reminiscent of former days. The many visitors who were lowered into Gaping Ghyll included six ladies of the Pinnacle Club.

The summer was variable, degenerating into a bad August and a poor September. The Alps generally had not a good season, though in Dauphiné the weather was quite fine in spite of constant bad weather signs. The summer meet had to be diverted to Horton-in-Ribblesdale (July 1-2) and people had a cheery time, though the weather was hopelessly bad. A most amusing sweep by a long line of men in the rain of Saturday led to the re-discovery of Old Ing Cave. On Sunday Alum Pot was descended to the head of the third ladder pitch in a still worse downpour.

The autumn meet (September 16-17), at Horton again, attended by 18 men, was also an unlucky affair. The attack prepared for on High Hull Pot did not go further than a demonstration on Saturday afternoon of the possibility of diverting the beck. The first result of the diversion was to send all the water into the pot-hole by another route, but some more work in a fearful storm by a mutinous gang seemed to be more successful. The knowledge gained was of much service to the Gritstone Club when they made the first descent in July, 1923.

In a fierce gale and heavy showers, Alum Pot was tried once more on Sunday. On this occasion nine men reached the end of daylight, and three penetrated to the final pool through the dense spray of the waterfall coming down from Diccan Pot.

The autumn provided us with some glorious week-ends. A party visited the Howgill Fells, and others the Lake District.

The meet at Middlesmoor (December 9-10) was favoured with two perfect days. Complaint was even heard of the warmth of the water in Manchester Hole.

The following Sunday was miserable and no one appears to have even tried to go to Brandreth Crags, near Blubberhouses, while another poor day was the fate of the fixture at Ilkley in January, though a dozen men put in an appearance at different hours.

1923 - For the winter meet at Malham (February 10-11) the weather was even worse, and the Editor's recollections are of miles along muddy roads and over wet moors, in a dense, hot, soaking mist. Snowdrops, primroses and sweet violets were reported. A compass was found to have been affected to the extent of 90º, but severe pressure has been exerted to prevent an account of this incident.

The night walk was promptly transferred by the organiser to a night of full moon, 3rd March. As so often happens in the winter, the sky was clearer and the weather better than in the daytime. Four members had a delightful tramp from Ben Rhydding (11.20 p.m.), by Blubberhouses and the Pock Stones Moor track to Simon Seat, where it was just warm enough for an hour's rest. Early morning in Wharfedale was glorious. The Wilson Arms at Threshfield was reached at 8.40 and a most convenient train at 9.48 a.m., the best of the week, was used for the return. It is extraordinary that the normal Midland service on weekdays to places like Grassington continues so hopelessly bad.

For a change, the Sunday meets of March and April at Almescliff took place in fine weather, and the Easter meet (April 1st) at Coniston was very successful, in fact quite a ladies' meet. Some of the climbers on Dow Crags had the happiness of "rescuing" those of the party who had earlier on refused to climb.

Since 1909 the succession of fine Whitsuntides has been so continuous that even the atrocious weather of May could not shake one's faith in the anticipation of sunshine. Snow fell in London on 12th May. Though the Club was not justified in holding the camp proposed at Leek Fell, two parties were in the field, at Ingleton and at Alum Pot. Except on Monday, the week-end was a succession of storms. The Ingleton party drew blank, and the Alum Pot campers, slightly more fortunate in their expeditions, fled to lower regions after the snowfall of Wednesday morning on the higher fells. In fact the whole campaign of 1923 underground can only be described as one of mitigated disaster.

Only three men were able to attend the meet at Hawnby in July, but they urge members to make an effort to visit the delightful country of the Hambledons in the height of summer. Hawnby is quite easily reached by an afternoon's walk from Thirsk.

The autumn meet was held at Austwick on 22nd September, at "The Knoll" (kindly lent by Miss Byles). Fifteen members were present, but the persistent heavy rain, continuing up to Saturday afternoon, prevented the exploration of Juniper Gulf being persevered with, though all the necessary tackle was carried up. Sunset Hole was visited and many ascents of Ingleborough were made.

The December meet at Middlesmoor was well attended, as meets at Mr. Carling's always are. A perfect day favoured the men who walked from Masham and those who had the whole Saturday at Middlesmoor.